• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sampak

Sampak

FreeBay Booster

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

OK so I know I'm talking to myself here, but it's fun, and intelligent, stimulating discourse.

Well, you all know my name already, so I don't have to say that again.

Ok fine, 'Hi, I'm Sam.' And I LOVE RC cars!

No I'm not talking about your $50 Walmart Hummer with 3" chrome wheels, or your Radio Shack Ford Mustang with "Turbo" mode.

I'm talking about a Traxxas Slash, a 2wd 35 mph electric brushless motor powered short course race truck! Drift around turns or fly over triple jumps (literally.. with it's parachute like lexan body).

Or my monster pulling Traxxas Summit,a 4x4, remotely shifting 2-speed transmission AND front and/or rear locking diffs! It can crawl over just about any terrain, or when lacking, swim through it. All powered by 14 volts of lithium polymer battery powaa for over an hour on a single charge!

Or perhaps pointless speed is more your thing? I also have a Traxxas Bandit with a fiberglass (G-10) chassis and brushless motor capable of over 70 mph if the tires don't explode first.

Of course, I didn't even mention my Traxxas E-Maxx electric 4x4 2-speed, that can run over dirt and bumps with extreme ease, or my 40 mph Mini-T 1/18 th or Sportwerks Recoil 1/14thsedan, or classic Nitro powered Traxxas Nitro Hawk that putters around at 35 mph on a good day (hah it's the slowest of my trucks next to the Summit).

And I've been bit by the flying bug. Got a few airplanes, and crashed them too. Right now my old stand-by is the Slo-V, upgraded to Lithium batteries and brushless motor, for near vertical take-offs and 30-40 minute flight times on a hot breezy day with warm air currents letting it chase around the eagles up 500 ft in the air...I've lost sight of it a few times...

Ok I'm done.

All that in addition to being a normal full-size car enthusiast (no, not "fullsize 4000 lbs" family sedans, but real sized cars, not the little 1/10th scale r/c sized stuff...).

2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE - Borla exhaust, Racingline Y-pipe. R.I.P.

1998 Lexus GS400 - Megan EZ Street coilovers, Dual mufflers deleted - Rumbling in style

6cfdf6fb-1e81-48d0-a764-fdba018277ef_zps

#2 JackFlash19

JackFlash19

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:25 AM

I have ALWAYS wanted to get into the R/C hobby, and yes, LEGIT rc cars lol. Pointless speed would be my forte I'd imagine. I've always imagined driving down the highway and having my rc car haulin ass right along side of me haha. (As impractical as it may be [lane markers etc], it would still be pretty awesome)

#3 Sampak

Sampak

FreeBay Booster

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

Funny, my brother and I would often talk about driving the buggy down the highway next to the car... maybe the service road at least.

Well then, I say go browse the rc forums. Read up on good beginner RC cars, some terminology. The ones I listed are a popular newb and experienced users alike, favorites. Then you'll at least know half way what you're doing. ;)

Most nowadays come with brushless motors from the factory, which combined with better battery tech (6.6-14.8 volts typically lipo/A123 LiMn and LifePo) equates to virtually limitless power and speeds, more than a newb should be allowed haha. Myself, I got the speed bug out of my system, but my brother's always looking to make his buggy faster. Approaching 60-70 mph the rubber tires explode due to the centrifugal forces ripping them off the wheel. That and of course, steering and handling the speed are another problem..... That's about the same as driving a dragster down a road course - ain't happenin'!

If you've got $400 spare cash, (who doesn't when it comes to a hobby, right?) Go for a Traxxas Rustler 2wd brushless edition stadium type truck. Tough as nails and fast like a mo-fo, some good NiMh batteries and decent charger, and you'll be off breaking parts and upgrading with tougher ones as you go. :D R/C cars aren't that expensive as they seem depending on what you want, $200-$400 gets you a decent ready to run truck/car and whatever for getting it moving.

I keep hinting to David to get into R/C but he's too busy tooling with his Altima and internets. And trying to ride horses. :horse:

Here are some of my own r/c rides:
Electric 4wd 2-speed Emaxx, and 2wd buggy Traxxas Bandit - both modified with a brushless motors.

And a comparison video, same buggy with taller gearing, and my old POS Traxxas Nitro .15ci powered Hawk at full steam...

2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE - Borla exhaust, Racingline Y-pipe. R.I.P.

1998 Lexus GS400 - Megan EZ Street coilovers, Dual mufflers deleted - Rumbling in style

6cfdf6fb-1e81-48d0-a764-fdba018277ef_zps

#4 JackFlash19

JackFlash19

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:46 AM

:firefirefire: Lol they're soooo coool :afro:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users